Veterans’ Eviction To House Migrants Sparks Anger And Outrage In New York

According to a group spokesperson, the 20 homeless veterans who were forced to leave Orange County hotels to accommodate a group of migrants are shaken but continuing to move forward. This incident occurred earlier this week.

“We are trying to regain their trust,” stated Sharon Toney-Finch, CEO of the Yerik Israel Toney Foundation and herself a disabled veteran. “They are very upset because of how they have been replaced and we are, too.”

Several hotels in Newburgh and Middletown have evicted people, and local leaders have quickly condemned this action.

Many veterans, who were having a hard time dealing with PTSD, were being evicted and the leaders of the veteran community condemned this action.

“These veterans served their country, taking an oath to put themselves in harm’s way if need be,” stated David R. Riley Sr., American Legion Department of New York commander. “They deserve better. We owe them. Our country, our state, our citizens owe them.”

Mayor Adams’ administration began bussing the migrants to Orange County on Thursday, and other politicians are placing the blame on him.

“It is absolutely outrageous that homeless veterans would be displaced to alleviate New York City’s migrant crisis,” stated Republican Congressman Mike Lawler, who represents Rockland, Putnam, Dutchess, and Westchester Counties. “That Mayor Eric Adams would choose to endanger the welfare of our veterans speaks volumes to what a debacle this has become.”

There was no permission to interview the veterans by Toney-Finch. However, Toney-Finch requested for meals and hygiene products to be donated and these can be dropped off at State Assemblyman Brian Maher’s offices.

“They are doing well,” she stated.

“They are out eating together with my volunteers,” she added.

According to Toney-Finch, the veterans were supposed to stay in the hotels about 60 miles north of New York City for a month until they could find permanent housing. However, they were kicked out of the hotels.

She said that the veterans were asked to leave the hotel after staying there for two weeks.

On Saturday, a hotel that was accused by a vets’ advocacy group of displacing multiple veterans stated to The Post that it has not expelled any veterans and does not intend to accommodate migrants or formulate any such plans.

The hotel’s vice president of operations, Luz Pesick, stated that they have not received any inquiries about making reservations at the Hampton Inn in Middletown.

“That information is not correct — he is not taking any migrants in,” Pesick said referring to the owner. “He is not displacing any veterans.”

In the weeks leading up to the end of Title 42, which allowed Border Patrol officials to return migrants to Mexico and ended on Thursday night, more than 60,000 migrants arrived in New York City.

According to a spokesperson from City Hall, the city has been struggling to handle the influx of migrants and is asking other parts of the state to assist in addressing the issue.

“New York City has cared for more than 65,000 migrants — sheltering, feeding, and caring for them, and we have done so largely without incident,” stated City Hall spokesman Fabien Levy. “Right now, we’re asking Orange County to manage less than one-quarter of 1% of the asylum seekers who have come to New York City, with New York paying for shelter, food, and services.”

Related Posts

10 Minutes ago in Arizona, Savannah Guthrie was confirmed as.

Behind the microphones and bright studio lights, Savannah Guthrie has carried a quiet, unspoken grief. Her mother’s disappearance was never just a headline; it was a wound…

Inside Rebecca Gayheart and Eric Dane’s Family Homes: Spaces Shaped by Change and Connection

At first glance, the homes shared by Rebecca Gayheart and Eric Dane reflected warmth and family life. Behind the gates of quiet Los Angeles neighborhoods, their residences offered more than architectural…

Entertainment Community Reacts to Tragic Loss in Los Angeles

The entertainment industry is grappling with shock and sadness following reports of a tragic incident involving respected music executive Robin Kaye and her husband, Thomas Deluca. Authorities confirmed that officers…

What Long-Term Research Reveals About COVID-19 Vaccine Safety

When companies such as Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson developed COVID-19 vaccines in record time, the pace understandably prompted widespread public questions. The accelerated timeline was made possible by global…

Official Name Book Predicts This Vintage Name Will Return in 2026

Baby name trends often reflect what society values at a given moment. Some years emphasize originality, with unusual spellings and invented names designed to stand out. Other…

Gabourey Sidibe’s Husband Reveals Health Update

The hospital photos appeared calm at first glance — soft smiles, quiet moments, and familiar family snapshots. Yet behind those images was a deeply personal announcement that…