Local support grows following beach incident involving 12-year-old in Sydney

Twelve-year-old Nico Antic who was attacked by a shark in Sydney Harbour last week has died, his family shared.

“We are heartbroken to share that our son, Nico has passed away,” his parents Lorena and Juan said in a statement.

The teenage boy and a group of friends had been jumping off a rock ledge when he was attacked by what authorities believe to be a bull shark.

“Nico was a happy, friendly, and sporty young boy with the most kind and generous spirit. He was always full of life and that’s how we’ll remember him,” the statement by the grieving family read.

“We would like to sincerely thank the first responders and the teams at Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick for everything they did to care for Nico.

“We would also like to thank everyone in the community for their support and kind messages.”

Nico Antic/ GoFundMe

By Saturday afternoon, a GoFundMe campaign for his family had raised close to $240,000, with messages of support including one from Kate Barley, the mother of Khai Cowley, the 15-year-old who was killed by a shark in 2023.

“From one mum to another, my heart is holding you so tightly,” Barley’s comment read.

“I lost my beautiful boy Khai in a shark attack in South Australia — he was only 15 — and I know how unbearable this waiting and fear can be. Your precious boy is in our thoughts and prayers, and your family is being held with deep love and strength right now.”

Nico’s friends were praised for their quick and brave actions after rushing to help him following the attack. Police said at least one of them jumped into the water to pull him to safety, while others stayed with him and provided help until paramedics arrived.

He was taken to Sydney Children’s Hospital in critical condition on January 18, where he underwent surgery and was placed in an induced coma due to serious leg injuries.

Nico Antic/ Supplied

There has been a sudden increase in shark incidents along Australia’s east coast in recent days, including several in Sydney. One surfer escaped without injury, while another suffered serious injuries, and a day later a 39-year-old man was bitten on the New South Wales mid-north coast and taken to hospital.

Experts believe the rise is likely linked to heavy rain, which made the water murky and attracted bull sharks closer to shore.

Please SHARE this article with your family and friends on Facebook.

Related Posts

World’s Heaviest Man” Manuel Uribe Marries After Family Tears Down a Wall to Get Him to the Ceremony

To bring him to his wife after the wedding ceremony, Manuel Uribe’s relatives had to temporarily tear down a wall of his home, turning what should have…

Stephen Hawking’s doomsday warning is closer than we thought

The end of the world is a grim subject, yet, according to late Stephen Hawking, it may come sooner than any of us anticipates. Hawking was a…

Barack Obama’s brutal reply to Trump after racist video depicting him and Michelle as apes

President Donald Trump won’t apologize for the racist video he posted on the social media depicting Former President Barack Obama and Former First Lady Michelle Obama as…

Multi-City Investigation Underway After Tragic Discoveries in South Florida

Authorities say what began as a routine welfare check in Fort Lauderdale has expanded into a complex, multi-city investigation involving fatalities in two Florida communities. On Tuesday afternoon, officers…

Plane Crash Near Roatán Leaves Honduras Grieving as Investigation Begins

A tragic aviation accident off the coast of Honduras has left the nation in mourning. Shortly after departing from Roatán Island on a domestic flight bound for La Ceiba, a plane…

How to Understand the Minneapolis ICE Shooting Case and Why Accuracy Matters

When complex legal stories unfold, it helps to step back and focus on verified facts rather than early assumptions. A recent case in Minneapolis highlights why careful review and…