Husband who lost wife and daughter in Maldives scuba diving tragedy breaks silence with powerful claim

The man who lost his wife and daughter in the infamous scuba diving tragedy that took place last week in the Maldives has broken his silence.

The deaths of no less than five Italian divers in a scuba diving accident last Thursday in Vaavu Atoll, in the Indian Ocean archipelago, has shocked the world. Authorities were reportedly alerted to the group’s disappearance at around 1.45 p.m. local time, with an urgent search operation immediately undertaken.

With the tragic mystery still unfolding, one Maldivian military rescue diver then died from decompression sickness during a recovery mission.

The five divers who lost their lives included University of Genoa marine biology professor Monica Montefalcone and her 20-year-old daughter Giorgia Sommacal. The other victims have been named as Muriel Oddenino, Gianluca Benedetti, and Federico Gualtieri.

Italy’s foreign ministry said in a statement: “The divers are reported to have died while attempting to explore caves at a depth of 50 metres [164 feet].”

Now, the husband of marine biology professor Montefalcone – and father to Sommacal – has spoken out to question how five divers could have died on the trip.

Credit: Facebook/ Project Seagrass

Despite various experts criticizing the decision to dive so deep, Carlo Sommaca told Italian newspaper La Repubblica that his wife “would never have put the life of our daughter or other kids at risk.”

Speaking to The Times, he added: “My only certainty is that my wife is one of the best scuba divers on the face of the earth.”

Related Posts

THE SEARCH IS OVER: SAVANNAH GUTHRIE BREAKS DOWN LIVE AS POLICE DELIVER THE FINAL

In the studio, the air seemed to thicken as the final confirmation was read aloud. Guthrie’s voice, once the steady guide through countless breaking stories, trembled under…

Opinion: Why Prince William needs to speak about his health

It’s safe to say that the British royals have been through a lot during the past couple of years, and somehow, Prince William has found himself in…

Trump Speaks After Security Scare Disrupts White House Correspondents’ Dinner

Donald Trump has spoken publicly following a reported security incident that interrupted the White House Correspondents’ Dinner on Saturday night. The annual gathering, held at the Washington Hilton, drew significant…

Obama’s Comments About Trump and Democracy Spark Sharp Political Debate

Barack Obama has sparked renewed political debate after remarks suggesting that support for Donald Trump reflects broader concerns about respect for democratic principles. The comments, made during a recent public…

Trump’s ‘My Way’ Post Sparks Online Speculation and Concern

Donald Trump has drawn widespread online attention after sharing a video on Truth Social featuring Frank Sinatra performing the classic song My Way. The post included opening lyrics such as “And now, the…

A Small Detail in Trump’s Marine One Photo Quickly Took Over Social Media

What looked like an ordinary presidential departure photo quickly became a viral online discussion after viewers focused on one unexpected detail involving Donald Trump’s appearance. The image showed…

Leave a Reply